Re: Email programs that work.

Derek Martin <code@pizzashack.org> writes:

Thanks, Derek, for a refreshing and informative post in this mostly
dreary and argumentative thread.

Being a heavy user of XEmacs for composition of documents, I have been
handling mail with Gnus (which runs under XEmacs), and enjoy the ability
to zip through a stack of spam by simply holding down the "E" key to
mark the messages for deletion.  But I not infrequently forget the
combination of keystrokes required for mail manipulations other than the
routine operations of reading, printing, deleting, and forwarding.  So
at present I'm using Thunderbird as an expedient when I need something
out of the ordinary.

I tried Sylpheed and Balsa and Evolution a while back, but each was in
development, and had a few problems I could not live with or wait to be
fixed.  And then there is the matter of the rodent, which I hate.

I've looked at Mutt a time or two, but I never managed to use it.  I
spent a day two trying to write a configuration file for Mutt, but I got
lost in the options, not knowing what was essential and what was not.
However, if Gnus were to disappear today, I would make every attempt to
learn to use Mutt, particularly in view of the fact that I hate the
mouse.

So, could you perhaps recommend a web site or a how-to for getting
started with Mutt?

RLH