Re: Delete part of metapackage?

My thoughts exactly. I want to save some of the Gnome metapackage's software, but delete gnome window manager and gdm. What's Gnome's window manager package called? Gnome-desktop-environment, gnome-core, etc. all have programs as a part of the package. Is it possible to delete the whole Gnome metapackage, then install just the individual programs that I need?

-- Elmer
I actually have it the other way around, wherein I have a few kde applications, but a gnome desktop. I don't have the main gnome metapackage or kde metapackages installed, though. These being the packages gnome-desktop-environment, gnome, and kde. I have kdebase-bin, and gnome-core. This way, I'm not stuck with epiphany, evolution, konqueror, and various games that I don't care about. For you, I imagine reversing these two (ie, gnome-bin, and kde-core) would run a KDE based system that was functional and light.

I would suggest, using aptitude, that you get rid of nautilus, which will rid you of the metapackages gnome, and gnome-desktop-environment. For more flexibility with KDE, you may wish to rid yourself of the kde metapackage (which is a huge collection of other metapackages) and stick with kdebase or kde-core (which is a smaller metapackage. You can add other stuff afterward using individual packages). Likewise, you could change gdm to kdm (I prefer gdm though, and it will work on a kde based system).

Note, I use Etch; so, some of the above may not apply to Sarge. I did check the package directories for Sarge, though; so, I believe I've got the names right.

Mark