Re: How to Totally!! nuke X11?

Ron Johnson wrote:

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 09:56:19AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
Kent West wrote:
I got bit the other day by unstable's xserver-xorg bug, and now I
can't seem to recover from it. I've now got things so completely
horked that I think it's best just to purge all of X11 from this
box and do a clean install of X (not of Debian itself, just of
the X Window System bits).

Problem is, nothing I do will completely purge it. aptitude (command-line and menu) fight me. I keep telling it to purge all
of the X11 system and it keeps saying that'll break things so
let's update things instead. NO!!! I want to PURGE the thing!!!
That's your problem.  aptitude sucks.

Care to qualify that?  IME, aptitude is the single best package
management front end.  I say this as someone who was a diehard dselect
user in the beginning of my experience with Debian.

- From Kent's original post:
    aptitude (command-line and menu) fight me. I keep telling
    it to purge all of the X11 system and it keeps saying
    that'll break things so let's update things instead. NO!!!
    I want to PURGE the thing!!!

apt-get does what you tell it to do.  aptitude does what it thinks
is best.

well said...