Re: Problem with Raid Array persistence across reboots.

On (25/08/06 13:13), Chandler, Alan wrote:
> I created a raid array with mdadm, thus
>
> mdadm --create=/dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sd[ab]4
>
> and then turned /dev/md0 into a LVM physical volume, volume group and
> some logical volumes.
>
> This worked great until I rebooted, at which point the start-up scripts
> failed to recreate the raid array, and I got into tricky problems with
> duplicate LVM PVs with the same UUID. [and ironically, since I used raid
> to avoid it, some data loss - although fortunately I DO have backups]
>
> Two questions
>
> 1) In the Debian world, how do you make raid arrays persistent across
> reboots?

It's been a while since I had to sort this on a few servers I was
setting up but I recall it was a kernel/module issue.  I recall I had to
add the sata modules in /etc/modules to make sure they were loaded in
time for the Raid configuration.  I also found that I had to change
kernels ... can't remember exactly why.  Since sorting it the RAID
arrays have been solid and persistent through reboots and powercuts.

> [It appears that Debian does not use raidtools and /etc/raidtab as the
> linux raid howto says)
>
> 2) If I do manage to create the array, what stops vgscan during LVM
> startup from picking up 3 physical volumes (/dev/md0, /dev/sda4 and
> /dev/sdb4) with the same UUID and only find /dev/md0?

can't help with this.

Regards

Clive

--