Re: Why all the futzing with boot loaders

Rich Johnson wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2006, at 1:35 AM, Jason Martens wrote:
> [...snip...]
> <snip>
>> mount -t proc proc /proc
> Check:  This sounds too much like a magical incantation)

There's nothing really magical about it.  To have network access, you
need /proc mounted in your chroot, which is all this does.

> <snip>
>>
>> If you got this far, you should be able to then reboot into your
>> system.  Not exactly easy, but it works.
> Its not so bad.  The only annoyance was (re)discovering the root
> filesystem--though I can envision a script to perform that task:
> (scan for root(s); prompt for selection if necessary; mount ; chroot ;
> mount -a)
I've found it's easier to actually start the partitioner, but not format
anything.  Then exit out to the shell, and all of your partitions and
drivers will be loaded and it's easy to mount /dev/hdx.  This is also
helpful if you have raid/lvm configured, because it starts the arrays
for you/activates the volume groups.

> Thank you, thank you.  This process is a nice addition to the
> toolkit.  A ''recovery''  script to perform the task would make a nice
> addition to the installer disk.
There actually is a recovery mode to the installer, but I've ended up
doing this process myself  a couple times.  It gets kind of hairy when
you add in raid and lvm however... ;-)

Jason Martens