Apt-get upgrade: sendmail etc "kept back"

I have recently got the following output:

# apt-get upgrade -s
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
 rmail sendmail sendmail-base sendmail-bin sendmail-cf sensible-mda
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.

If I try to install one of these packages I get:

# apt-get install sendmail -s
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

 sendmail: Depends: sendmail-bin (= 8.13.4-3sarge2) but
8.13.4-3sarge1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

Also:
# apt-get install -s sendmail-bin
------8><------- snip
 sendmail-bin: Depends: libsasl2 (>= 2.1.19.dfsg1) but
2.1.19-1.5sarge1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://volatile.debian.net/debian-volatile sarge/volatile main

I also use the volatile-sloppy repository for spamassassin and
volatile for clamav.  Otherwise I run a pure sarge system.  I've
disabled volatile-sloppy for the meantime because I don't want to
install the latest version of this until its fully tested.  I can't
see any evidence that sendmail or sendmail-bin are in volatile or
sloppy.

Is the apt repository working OK??  How can I resolve this?