Re: Incorrect version of xserver-xorg in unstable

Drew Parsons wrote:

An upload of xserver-xorg 1:1.1.1-3 was incorrectly made to unstable
today. The intended target was experimental.  The correct current
version for unstable is 1:1.0.2-9.

The chief binary package affected is xserver-xorg-core.  Other affected
packages are xdmx, xdmx-tools, xnest, xserver-xorg-dev and xvfb.

1:1.1.1-3 corresponds to X11R7.1, while 1:1.0.2-9 belongs to X11R7.0.
The consequence of this upload is that old X11R7.0 video drivers in
unstable will fail to load and the Xserver  will fail to start
<snip>

Please choose one of the following actions as a temporary workaround:

1) place xserver-xorg-core 1:1.0.2-9 (and the other xserver-xorg
packages) on hold

or

2) if you have already been affected then grab your xserver-xorg
package[s] from testing and downgrade back to  1:1.0.2-9

or

3) come join the future and grab your new video driver from experimental

Thanks for the notice, Drew. Unfortunately, I've already been bit.

I thought I'd try the experimental drivers, but when I go to that site, I see a package named xorg-xserver, but not one named xserver-xorg.

Has the name of the package changed?

Also, this package in experimental is 1:1.1.1-3, so it seems that just grabbing this package from the site is no different than the unstable version. Can I then assume that when you say "grab your new video driver from experimental" you really mean "grab your new driver and any other necessary bits for it to work from experimental"? I suspect my best course of action is to downgrade to Testing's version.

Thanks!

(CC:ing Drew, not knowing if you're subscribed to User)

--
Kent