Re: Pumping Gas in Oregon (WAS: Re: Osama Bin Laden Take Over List!)

* Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> [2006 Aug 21 13:11 -0500]:

> Actually, I have found that the lines are longer, here in Oregon, than
> when I lived elsewhere.  I do not have a right hand gas tank, so I get
> to sit in a long line and look at the other, empty lane, being unused.
> For those of us with left hand gas tanks (the majority), after I get to
> move up to a pump I have to wait for the attendant to get to me to pump
> my gas, instead of just getting out and pumping my own.  Then, after the
> tank is full, I have to wait for them to get back to me, just to take
> the nozzle out and hand me my receipt.  This usually adds at least a
> minute, if not more, to my time at the pump, not including any
> additional time waiting in line to get to a pump.  If we eliminated that
> extra time at the pump it would virtually eliminate any waiting in line,
> as well.
>
> Having pumped my own gas for 32 years and in many states prior to moving
> to Oregon, I can say that I have probably seen as many gas spills from
> gas station attendants as from self pumping customers.  The total number
> of spills, from either, sources, is rather low.

So, what do motorcyclists do?  I wouldn't allow some station jerk to
put his grimy hands all over my pride and joy.  Bike tanks fill rather
quickly and one must be careful to avoid over filling and dribbling gas
on the painted surface--especially one that is nearly 28 years old and
in exceptional condition.

Law or no law, *I* fill my bike.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.