Re: Pumping Gas in Oregon (WAS: Re: Osama Bin Laden Take Over List!)

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:34:16 -0700
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:

> On Monday 21 August 2006 11:07, Marc Shapiro wrote:
>
> > I do not have a right hand gas tank, so I get
> > to sit in a long line and look at the other, empty lane, being
> > unused. For those of us with left hand gas tanks (the majority),
> > after I get to move up to a pump I have to wait for the attendant
> > to get to me to pump my gas, instead of just getting out and
> > pumping my own.  Then, after the tank is full, I have to wait for
> > them to get back to me, just to take the nozzle out and hand me my
> > receipt.  This usually adds at least a minute, if not more, to my
> > time at the pump, not including any additional time waiting in line
> > to get to a pump.  If we eliminated that extra time at the pump it
> > would virtually eliminate any waiting in line, as well.
>
> Knowing that's how gas stations work in your area, it would have been
> prudent to have kept this limitation in mind when you purchased your
> vehicle. Otherwise you're stuck waiting in line or paying 10-30¢ more
> per gallon at a self-service cardlock or being an inconsiderate
> driver by going the wrong way into the right-hand pumps at a
> Washington self-serve station.

Buy a car just because it has a right hand gas tank? I'd rather buy gas
where the traffic lanes are 2-way and there's rarely lines for a pump -
regardless of what side your gas tank is on. Hint: this place is not in
Oregon, Washington or California. And yes, my legislators trust me
enough to pump my own gas.

> > Having pumped my own gas for 32 years and in many states prior to
> > moving to Oregon, I can say that I have probably seen as many gas
> > spills from gas station attendants as from self pumping customers.
> > The total number of spills, from either, sources, is rather low.
>
> Go to Vancouver (WA or BC, either of them, doesn't matter).  Or
> Seattle. There's usually a standing puddle of gasoline in front of at
> least one pump and the place reeks of gasoline by comparison to even
> a truck stop gas station in Oregon.  This isn't to say that even the
> career gas pumpers don't occasionally spill, at least here they're
> required to clean up gas spills quickly.  Even then, seeing kitty
> litter or a spill kit in use or a puddle of gas is the exception and
> not the rule at mini-serve stations.

So you're basing your opinion of "all self-service gas stations" on
those 3 cities? Quite the limited sample there.

> (That being said, the only time I've seen them spill was earlier
> today at an Estby station near Intel where I work since it was
> running on fumes when I pulled in, the tank burped while refuelling
> and the nozzle dropped out.  And the Estby station gave me the gas
> gratis to make up for spilling gas on fender...$5 car wash for $30
> gas...can't complain too much...)

Just out of curiosity, how much training are these pump attendants
required to go through to be qualified experts in "pumping gas"?

Thanks. This thread is reminding me once again of how glad I am to live
in my home state. Keep up the good work!

Jacob