Minimum to start NFS client

I have a box that I want to run an NFS client on, but not the server. I
installed nfs-common, but attempts to mount result in the following:

    mount: storage:/mnt/storage failed, reason given by server:
    Permission denied

My /etc/exports on the server seems to contain the right stuff:

    /mnt/storage    10.1.1.*(rw,sync,mp)

so I'm not sure what this is telling me, or how to debug it further. I
shouldn't have to run the nfs server with mountd on the client side,
right? What else could be wrong?

--
Unabashedly littering the information superhighway with detritus like
this for over 15 years now.