re: mach64 alternatives

Out of curiosity, what video card makers can debian sid just use out of the box without all of this aggravation? I had a trident vga with this machine earlier and if that's a good one, it will be easier to replace a monitor and change out a video card than what's going on over here now. The common dri stuff compiled and built well enough but modules aren't available for kernel 2.6.12-1-speakup-686 that I can find and download anywhere. Next time modules will be available is when that all goes up to 2.6.17-x and I don't know when that will be. No, I haven't yet succeded in building a kernel and patching it with speakup, when I try that project I think will be on a day with nothing else I'm trying to do so if it doesn't work, neither does the failure break anything permanently. gnopernicus along with gnome-speech and festival can get gnome talking if we don't have these video problems to contend with ahead of time. I can sometimes get sighted assistance that's had more experience than I've had to date but tonight isn't one of these times and this has been an ongoing project for a few months.