Re: mini-DV with sd-card

Alan Greenberger wrote:
> On 2006-08-16, gustavo halperin <ggh.develop@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Hello
>>
>>   My question is about the video format Mini-DV. This format is Linux
>> compatible? I my camera record the movie in a SD-Card, I will can play
>> the movie with MPlayer and encoded it to DVD format?
>>
>>    Thank you,
>>         Gustavo
>
> Most Mini-DV video cameras have a firewire (1394) port.  If you add a
> firewire card to your computer and install the "kino" program, it can
> capture your video to a (large) .dv file.  kino Help contains
> instructions on how to export the video and burn a DVD.  This works on
> Sarge.
>
> Can an SD-Card hold a whole movie?  If it could and the file were in .dv
> format, then you could bypass the firewire step.

Most mini-DV cameras that I'm aware of store the video to digital tape and then you can suck the data out via the firewire. As you've indicated, the raw digital video data is typically very large. I'd be highly surprised if the camera is storing the dv data onto the SD card.

The SD card is most likely being used to store still shots (using the video camera as a snapshot camera). That's the way my camera works anyway.

And I can report decent success in getting the video off it via firewire and being able to process it in kino. I'm using Debian Testing, but I see you've verified that all the pieces are available in Sarge.

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
Hey, this is the government. You just can't expect five 9s -- Chief Justice, on the Gore/Bush election's narrow margin