Re: kde and gnome together

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:59:18 +0200
"Paolo Pantaleo" <paolopantaleo@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2006/8/16, Anders Lennartsson <anders.lennartsson@foi.se>:
> >
> > We have a computer on which several users can log in at the console
> > where kdm presents the log-in dialog. Some of these users prefer gnome
> > and some kde.
> >
> > What is the best way to allow both user interfaces to coexist on the
> > computer, and allowing users to specify at login (or in some
> > configuration file) which environment they would like?

If you would like to pre-select their default Desktop Environment/Window Manager, you could also modify the file .dmrc in the users home directory.

--- .dmrc ---
[Desktop]
Session=<Sessions name located here>

Your question did relate to configuration file, correct?

Also a small pointer, if some users wish to for example swap back and forth between KDE and GNOME, I would suggest logging into a KDE session first and changing the location of it's desktop.  I noticed that when I login into GNOME, I see a bunch of '.desktop' files which do not have the correct icons under GNOME and also clutter the GNOME desktop with KDE's own Home, System, and Trash icons.  GNOME supplies these automaticly.  Having two copies on the same desktop doesn't make sense.