SOLVED (use make modules_prepare) Re: make-kpkg UTS version problem

Arthur Marsh wrote:
Hi, when doing a fresh unpack of linux-source-2.6.17 then attempting to build realtime-lsm, I get the following error:

/usr/src/linux# make-kpkg modules-image
exec debian/rules  DEBIAN_REVISION=2.6.17-10.00.Custom  modules-image
echo "The UTS Release version in include/linux/version.h"; echo " \"\" "; echo "does not match current version:"; echo " \"2.6.17\" "; echo "Please correct this."; exit 2
The UTS Release version in include/linux/version.h
     ""
does not match current version:
     "2.6.17"
Please correct this.
make: *** [modules-image] Error 2

I tried creating /usr/src/linux/version.h with simply the line:

2.6.17

but that didn't work.

I had this working before but removed my kernel source tree and can't get it working again )-:.

I had the situation where I had removed my kernel source tree, and there was a realtime-lsm-source update, which I wanted to build and install.

Since realtime-lsm requires a kernel rebuilt with

CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=m

It is reasonable to assume that the person building realtime-lsm will have the linux-source-* package installed if not unpacked.

Also, since make-kpkg package can be used to build both the realtime-lsm module and the custom kernel required by realtime-lsm, make-kpkg is a more logical choice for building the realtime-lsm module than module-assistant. I found myself frustrated trying to use module-assistant to build the realtime-lsm module. The directions for using make-kpkg in /usr/share/doc/alsa-source also helped me build the realtime-lsm module, but the directions in /usr/src/realtime-lsm-source simply state:

[quote]

In order to build the realtime kernel module from source use
module-assistant.

e.g.

module-assistant update
modula-assistant build realtime-lsm

You need to have the kernel header files installed for this to work.

[end quote]

Why have kernel-headers-[insert-version-number] installed if one needs the full kernel source to build a kernel with Since realtime-lsm requires a kernel rebuilt with CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=m anyway?

Unpacking the kernel source and realtime-lsm source, creating a symbolic link /usr/src/linux pointing to /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.17 then copying the current kernel configuration from /boot to /usr/src/linux/.config didn't allow:

make-kpkg modules-image

to succeed (as shown in the quoted errors above).

What was needed after:

cp /boot/config-2.6.17 /usr/src/linux/.config

was:

cd /usr/src/linux
make modules_prepare

before: