best pactice - apache, rewrite, ssl, virtualhost or .htaccess

Hi, I'm running Apache2 on Debian Sarge and redirect some sites to https.

I have:
debian 2.6.8-16sarge1
apache2 - 2.0.54-5 with mod_ssl, mod_rewrite

I have tryed to redir with .htaccess file and by config virtualhosts. Both seams
to work ok, but will be happy for some comments for best practice.

Another thing is redirection, virtualhosts and url's.
I have not managed to redir http://webmail.domain.com to
https://webmail.domain.com. "webmail" is a virtualhost. But i can redirect to
https if I redirect to https://domain.com/webmail. Is that the only way to do
it? If so is there a way to keep the url in browser at webmail.domain.com even
if redirected domain.com/webmail?
I've googled around some and only found the [R] to put at the end of
RewriteRule. But some say that it will show only the url typed, and some says it
will show the url that user is rediredted to.....anyhow it makes no different.

--
/ernst-magne

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert
Einstein)