Re: Step-by-step package guide?

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 13:53:57 -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
>On Thursday 27 July 2006 13:40, Matej Cepl wrote:
>> Paul Johnson wrote:
>> > I've looked through the Debian reference as mentioned elsethread and
>> > discovered dh-make, but I'm having some difficulty understanding how
>> > dh_make
>> > works from the dh_make manpage.  Is there any step-by-step guide to doing
>> > this?
>>
>> Unpack the original tarball. Then if you are creating single binary package
>> do this
>>
>> dh_make -f ../<original-tarball>.tar.gz -e <your-email> \
>>         -c [gpl|bsd|artistic|lgpl] -s
>>
>> What's so difficult?
>
>That it wasn't this clear in the dh_make manpage.  :o)  Thanks for the
>update, I'll give it a shot shortly.

I can't help but stress the usefulness of the maintainer's guide again.
I'm not sure what "Packaging" section you are referring to in your other
posts, but the above you would have found out if you looked in Section
2.4 (Initial "debianization"):

 http://www.us.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/ch-first.en.html#s-dh_make

If you want to package software for Debian then the maintainer's guide
is required reading (IMNSHO). Read the whole thing, then package
something, then read it again :-)

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Finagle's Fourth Law:
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it only makes it
worse.