Re: Moving web server to new IP

On 7/26/06, Brent Clark <bclark@eccotours.co.za> wrote:
Simon wrote:
> I need to move our web server to a new IP range. This is hosting
> around 300 websites, about 250 on 2-3 IPS (standard name based virtual
> hosts) and the rest on their own IPs (SSL hosts). All running on
> apache/php/mysql.

Hi

Just a suggestion, start by shortening the TTL, therefore any changes made will have a more quicker ripple effect.

What I've done, in the past, and am about to do again over the next few days:

1. install the new webservers and copy over the data

2. put redirects in the config files on the old server such that any queries to the old servers get sent to the numeric IP addresses of the new servers

3. cut over the domain records

That way, during the DNS propagation period, queries get routed to the new servers anyway.

Where it gets a little trickier is when there's backend processing on the web server, and database consistency is an issue. In that case, it looks a little more like this (if your application can tolerate a few minutes of downtime):

1. install new webserver but don't start them
2. stop the old server(s)
3. copy the data, logs, etc.
4. change the DNS records
5. start the new server(s)
6. put a redirect entry on the old server
7. restart the old server
8. wait until you stop getting log entries on the old server, then decomission

Miles