M-Audio MIDISport 1x1

There's a conflict between udev and hotplug, and removing hotplug
crashed my x-windows system.  I replaced hotplug, but now I've found
the firmware download for my USB MIDI connector-
http://usb-midi-fw.sourceforge.net/
and it requires udev 057 or later.
Prior to my apt-get dist-upgrade last night, jackd detected my
MIDISport on its own.  I'm not exactly clear why, but there is thus a
conflict between x-windows and my MIDI adapter.  Is this something to
take to developers, or might there be a way around it?

-Chuckk

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."