Re: Fluxbox + Firefox slow

Nick Wright wrote:

> I use fluxbox as my window manager. Its pretty sweet for most stuff --
> light and fast. However when scrolling around in firefox the system is
> brought to its knees (CPU load spikes to 80-90%). This also happens
> quite a bit when altering the focus between firefox and other windows.

Disabling smooth scrolling may help. Although on my system it still is
slow as hell.

> Does anyone else find the same thing? Can you recommend any
> alternatives to firefox that perform better in fluxbox (and obviously
> is as featureful as possible)

In my experience, pretty much anything will perform better.

-- Epiphany (epiphany-browser) --

This one is rather simplistic, but "epiphany-extensions" can give it
quite a boost. It is GNOME based, but GNOME applications perform very
well in Fluxbox.

-- Galeon (galeon) --

Another browser for GNOME. It has a comfortable interface that lets you
change most options quickly. It does not seem to support extensions of
any kind, but it already has quite a lot of features.

-- Kazehakase (kazehakase) --

An interesting GTK+ based browser. It is somewhat similar to Galeon, but
does things differently. The drawback is that it will pull Mozilla in.

-- Mozilla (mozilla-browser) --

The mother of all free software browsers. Has a lot of features,
extensions, an ugly interface.