Re: serious Reiser4 fsck problem

Dirk <noisyb@web.de> writes:

> fsck.reiser4 --build-fs
>
> result in data loss? I mean to fix the partition - NOT to lose the data
> on it..
>
> The manual page is also not very specific about if data will be lost or
> not when using this option...

The reiserfs fsck is broken by design.  It can quite easily corrupt
your filesystem with *any* options!

Running an as-yet-unmerged beta-quality filesystem isn't really a
great idea.  Why do you want to run reiser4?  Your filesystem is one
of the most critical parts of your system--nobody wants to lose
data--so choosing an unproven filesystem with poor recovery tools is
not recommended...

http://zork.net/~nick/mail/why-reiserfs-is-teh-sukc
gives some useful information.  Apparently, things might be improved
with reiser4, but until it's merged into the kernel and has really
wide testing, it's a bit of a lottery.  Either way, fsck.reiser* are
known to play like Russian roulette.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh
   `-    GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848   Please sign and encrypt your mail.