USB serial adapters

I have just tried connecting a USB serial adapter to my Debian Etch
system, and happily it seems to have been recognised and worked right
out of the box....

But these things seem to come with very little documentation, and what
I havn't yet discovered how to interrogate it to find out what
baud rates, formats or other stty options it supports (other than
using trial and error)?

Anyone know if this information can be found?

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com