Re: [OT]laptop memory and slot

My wife has a 600m from Dell, if the memory slot is going out, I
would advise you to run memtest 86 to check the memory. I would
also advise you to run the Dell diagnostics as your haddrive might
need to be checked as well.

Just for your information my wife's 600m is on it's third
motherboard. For some reason they like to overheat and fail if you
do any massive calculations on them.  I can not even run RC5-72 as
it tasks the cpu and overheats the board.

I would also be careful as that could be a sign of a failing
motherboard. I would hate to have you buy a stick of memory and
then in a week or two have the board fail.

As regarding your memory, any good stick should be able to down
clock, so if you have a good stick of pc 2700 it should be able to
run at pc 2100 levels.  I would stay away from no name memory, as
this could make you have even more problems.

If it were me I would not even bother with the upgrade as I believe
your motherboard is on shakey ground as it is. If you have an
extended warranty I would use it. I would also check the harddrive
and check if you have excessive heat coming from the ports on the
back. When all my motherboards failed, the ports on the back would
get very hot almost to burning to the touch, then it would cook the
harddrive, as it's slot is above the board and takes tremendous
heat as it is.  Also I would check your batteries as some were
recalled for excessive heat build up.

I would consider the 600m a suppar notebook, sure it has the nice
battery life when new as well as the Pentium M chip, but it's a
lemon.  I would hate to see someone put even more money into it, if
it shows signs of failing.

Gnu_Raiz