Re: Restrict ssh logins

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 17:47 -0400, Eric d'Alibut wrote:
> I want to turn off ordinary unix password logins. and I want restrict
> ssh logins to only users with an ssh pub key in their authorized_key
> files

Turn PasswordAuthentication to no and PubkeyAuthentication to yes in
your /etc/ssh/sshd_conf.

> (to be placed there by me, your friendly sysadmin).

You should define a global authorized_keys file then. Use
AuthorizedKeysFile in your /etc/ssh/sshd_conf to set the path to your
file.

There is another way to control which users can log in and which can't.
You can block/allow users with DenyUsers and AllowUsers (also in
your /etc/ssh/sshd_conf)

> Any pointers as to how to do this, or as to where to find pertinent
> docs, would be greatly appreciated.

man 5 sshd_conf

-- Lothar