Re: xdm source .bash_profile

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 01:22:04AM +0200, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> > This starts gnome, and runs it from ssh-agent.  That's a neat trick
> > which makes your ssh agent accessible to all xterms started from
> > within your X session.  If you use KDE, replace that with startkde.
>
> Side effect of that approach is that you have to use only one Desktop Environment.

Well, not necessarily.  instead of starting a desktop environment, you
could just start an xterm, by itself, and DON'T run it in the
background.  From that xterm, you can start your desktop environment
on the command line.  It's a little bit yucky, but it gets you what
you want...  But, you have to be really careful.  If you close that
xterm, your X session will die.

> > The key is, once this script ends, so does your X session.  If you
> > just source your .bashrc file, your X session will end before it has a
> > chance to start.  ;-)
>
> That's explain why it was not working for me the trick to just
> source the ~/.bash_profile from ~/.xsession without starting a
> window manager/D.E..

Yup. :(

> Thank you very much,

You're welcome!