Re: group ownership of /dev files

also sprach Derek Martin <code@pizzashack.org> [2006.06.23.1403 +0200]:
> Why should I not make such statements?  If Debian is not meeting
> the needs of people who want to use it, why should the Debian
> community not strive to meet those needs?  Is the Debian community
> not open to change for the better?

Sure, for the better. In this case, however, you are the only one
who thinks it's better. You are welcome to package libpam-console
and see if others fly by it.

> I never said you didn't... but can you provide a logical reason
> for discluding support for pam_console?

Please go through the numerous discussions on the topic in the list
archives. You are not the first to raise this issue, you know?

> Can you find any fault with my analysis?  You may not personally
> like pam_console, but it appears to be technically superior to all
> of the debian-supported solutions to the problem of how to provide
> access to system resources to workstation users

Then I suggest you take a look at the code.

> And if you have a logical technical argument against pam_console,
> I'd still like to hear it.

It's an ugly hack that will cause more problem than it's worth.

Please, go ahead and try it.

> Fine.  But, why?  I don't think "...because I don't like it" is a very
> reasoned or sensible justification, but that seems to be the only
> justification you are willing to offer.

You are talking about killing processes and you're asking me why?

How, for instance, do you want to cope with the situation of letting
a second user log in in KDE or Gnome while the first session is
locked? Just kill the first session?

> This is starting to seem an awful lot to me like unreasoned
> anti-RedHat prejudice getting in the way of providing solid
> technical solutions to real problems faced by real users every
> day...

Go ahead and provide the solid solution then. Don't expect others to
do it for you.

`. `'`

"arguments are extremely vulgar,
 for everyone in good society