Re: X broke in sid after dist-upgrade

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 09:43:46 -0700, Ric Otte wrote:

> I recently did a dist-upgrade on my sid machine and no longer have a working
> X system.  When I try to startx, the screen will go dark, and then in a few
> seconds I'll be returned to the console.  (interestingly, if I simply type
> "X", the screen will go grey, the mouse (working) will be a "X", but nothing
> else will work).
>
> At the end of the Xorg log file I find:
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/, removing from list!

[ ... the same for Type1, 100dpi, etc ...]

> FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.
>
> I read the FAQ at x.org, and it says to run "mkfondir" on the font
> directories, which I did (I also ran it on any font directory I could find,
> not just the ones in /usr/lib/X11/fonts).  Unfortunately I still get the same error message.
> I couldn't find anything else that would help using google.

The font paths have changed for Xorg 7.0. You should change the
beginning of all FontPath definitions in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf from
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/" to "/usr/share/fonts/X11/". The last entry
in your log suggests that your X server does at least find the new
location of the "misc" fonts, therefore the font paths should not be the
reason that X fails to start up.

> I tried dpkg-reconfigure, but it also didn't help.
>
> I don't know a lot about fonts, and I would appreciate any suggestions about
> how to get X working again.  Thanks,

There was a version of dbus recently which had a bug that prevented X
from starting. Check your ~/.xsession-errors after a failed attempt and
run "apt-cache policy dbus". dbus version 0.62-2 hit the mirrors today and
fixes the problem; if you still have version 0.62-1 you need to upgrade.

--
Regards,
          Florian