backports kernel and m-a

Dears,

I'm completely newbie to backports.org kernel image and I have some difficult using it with m-a.

I've successfully installed linux-image-686 from backports (doing apt pinning) which could point to the latest available kernel image.

Now I'd need to use module assistant to compile the nvidia module.

When I use m-a prepare -k /usr/src/linux (must use -k in order to notify where linux-headers are due to the name change from kernel-headers to linux-headers)  I receive a message "Warning  kernel source 2.6.16-1 is not configured".

Is there a way to recompile the nvidia kernel package with module-assistant with a backports.org stock kernel ?

Thanks,
Jeff