Re: get no sound with xmms/xine

> Then maybe we should check if your sound devices are created at all in
> /dev and if they have the right permissions. You can run this command
> and compare the output:
>
> $ find /dev -group audio 2>/dev/null | xargs ls -l
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio  14,   4 2006-06-16 12:25 /dev/audio
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio  14,   3 2006-06-16 12:25 /dev/dsp
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio  14,   0 2006-06-16 12:25 /dev/mixer
!!!SNIP!!!

indeed, the /dev/snd files were missing and using snddevices to install them
has gotten the sound for 'xmms' working. now 'find /dev -group audio
2>/dev/null | xargs ls -l' includes a lot of /dev/snd entries. (i couldn't
get snddevices working until i untarred the alsa-driver source and ran
snddevices from the resulting alsa-driver directory.) HOWEVER, xine doesn't
work yet. i notice on the web btw the remark that in the xine setup function
i should see "audio driver to use" and an 'alsa' choice in the list. i
see 'oss' in the list among other things, but no 'alsa'.

tom