Re: Unmount a busy NFS share

Frank Blendinger wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 12:43:51PM +0200, Bernd Schubert wrote:
>> Frank Blendinger wrote:
>> > I want to unmount a busy NFS share, but failed to do so, even with a
>> > umount -f.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > I also tried a ``fuser /mothermole'' to see which process blocks the
>> > mountpoint, but that just hangs, I aborted after some minutes. I'm
>>
>> Just try 'lsof |grep mothermole'.
>
> This hangs, just as my try with fuser did.

Hmm, this sounds as if /mothermole is in your PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
whatever. Can you check this? If you don't find anything, try to strace
lsof and see where it hangs.

> That b0rked up NFS mount seems to cause a lot of trouble, i.e. updatedb
> processes from the last view days are hanging around, blocked, and also
> some other programs refuse to start as the try to access that
> mountpoint.
>
> Is there really no other way then rebooting to get rid of this nasty
> thing?

Processes in D state are difficult to kill. If nothing helps, you could put
any other system on the nfs server ip address and export a directory
as /mothermole, the processes should die with a stale nfs filehandle.

Hope it helps,
        Bernd