Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:10:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Leonard Chatagnier <lenc5570@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Another APT Issue-Where Are The
Linux-Images
To: debian-user <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

I now have only 2.6.8 and 2.6.16 kernels in my cache
file, while a short time ago I had from 2.4.18-bf2.4
to 2.6.16 and everything in between.  Aptitude
removed
a working installed 2.6.15 linux-image before I
could
blink and I would like to reinstall it but its not
there. I did do an autoclean but didn't think that
would remove all the linux-images and leave just the
2.6.8 and 2.6.16 in the cache. Would appreciate
anyone
telling me how to get all the kernel/linux-images
back
int my cache files so I can pick the one I want
instaled. Plz copy my email-not subscribed.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

You dont say what version of debian you are running but I assume its sid as this is the only one that has 2.6.16 at the moment. It would appear you have installed some sort of meta package that will always depend on the latest kernel so it has correctly upgraded you to 2.6.16.

The aptitude autoclean will have removed the old debs because they are no longer available in the unstable repository, which I assume is all you have in your sources.list.

Try adding the testing repositories into your sources list (copy your existing lines for unstable/sid and change to testing/etch) then do

#aptitude update
#aptitude search linux-image-2.6.15
#aptitude install linux-image-2.6.15-whatever-version-you-want

You may also consider removing the generic meta package that caused this kernel upgrade in the first place. It will probably be called something like *linux-image-2.6-your-arch*.

HTH

Wackojacko