VPN / PPTP

For some time I've been trying to use pptp-linux to connect as a client to my office VPN  (don't ask me what flavour VPN server this is running the Network admin won't tell me)

According to this howto until kernel 2.6.15 you needed a patch to run it correctly
 http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-debian-build.phtml

I am running Debian Etch Kernel 2.6.15-1-486 on an x22 thinkpad

'MPPE (Microsoft Point-to-Point Encryption) support requires an additionnal kernel module, provided by package kernel-patch-mppe or in linux kernel version 2.6.15 and above.'

The support should be built in, no?

Any help appreciated
Anthony