Re: apt-get broken, packages not fully installed or removed

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 06:55 -0400, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:
> Hi Simone,
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 12:36:47PM +0200, Simone Soldateschi wrote:
> >
> > I had a similar problem two days ago trying to update 'libwx2.6-dev' from
> > backports.
> > 'apt-get' failed package upgrade due to  unmet dependencies and I was unable
> > to fix the problem with 'apt -f install'.
> > A debian user suggested me to fix the problem using synaptic and filtering
> > defective packages..  it did the job.
> >

> I do not have synaptic installed, and can no longer install anything
> until I get this thing fixed. Catch 22! I'll keep that in mind though.

There is always dpkg-deb

        dpkg-deb -X /var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%
        3a7.0.20_i386.deb /

That will extract and make certain things usable until you can get the
packages correctly installed. Personally I have saved a couple of
peoples machines this way. One fixing an upgrade from Breezy Badger to
Dapper Duck (being of course Ubuntu)... but I digress.

Use of these commands is exceptionally "use at your own risk of blowing
up your machines config, with no sympathy from anyone". So use caution.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.