Re: Audio CD problems..

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 10:59:41AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 06:41:43PM +0100, Digby Tarvin wrote:

> > > my first guess is that the other players are trying to play with a
> > > different sound system than totem. for example, maybe they are trying
> > > to play through alsa when you have esd running or some similar
> > > conflict. but that's only a guess.
> >
> > I've tried with both KDE and fvwm, where the latter should normally be
> > free of any sound daemons.
>
> well, are you using a mix of alsa and oss maybe? maybe some mixing
> problem? just shooting in the dark as I've lost the original point
> here. :-P
>
> oh, and how are you getting into fvwm? if its through *dm then I bet
> you are running a sound daemon... if through startx, then probably
> not.
>
> .02

It is being started by a display manager (gdm currently), but generally
fvwm doesn't try to mess with sound itself, and ps doesn't show anything
having been added to the default environment.

In any case, it seems that the problem was that some apps were unexpectedly
defaulting to analog playout, and that doesn't seem to be wired up on my
laptop.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com