Re: rsync --delete

On Wednesday 07 June 2006 23:51, Dexter wrote:
> Hi,
> i use "rsync -rlptgov --delete /mnt/server/dir/ /var/share/server/dir"
> comand to sinchronize directory on backup server with primary server. I
> use --delete option, so that files, that do not exist on SRC are deleted
> also on DST. SRC directory is mounted through NFS on backup server.
> Acording to manual, rsync should not delete any files if there are any
> I/O errors, to prevent masive deletion. But masive (whole tree) deletion
> happened to me, when SRC directory was not mounted and directory
> "/mnt/server/dir/" was empty.
> Do you know some way to evoid this to happen?
> Thanks alot.
>      Dexter

You'll need to put a check in your script to make sure your NFS directory is
mounted.  Something like this will work:

if mount|grep -q '/mnt/BackupDrive';
  then
    echo 'Backup Already Mounted';
  else
    echo 'Mounting Backup';
    if mount /mnt/BackupDrive;
      then
        echo 'Backup Mounted';
    else
      echo 'BackupDrive failed to mount. Exiting.';
      exit 1;
  fi;
fi;

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111