Re: hard drive repair problem

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006, Marty Landman wrote:
> The following's what I get for current status so I'm wondering if
> this turned out to be a software issue after all and I ought to
> cancel my RMA, or if the HD's likely to act up again.

I have HDs that will (after a write) behave normally for one week, then lose
the data on those sectors and give read errors (which will go away if you
write the sectors again).  So yes, your HD might act up later.

SMART will not always flag these breakages (such as in the disk I described,
a Seagate barracuta 7200.7 SATA without NCQ -- note that I have five other
disks of the same type and they never exibited any such problems).

  Henrique Holschuh