Re: screen resolution, font size and real estate

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 06:09:20PM EDT, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Jochen Schulz on 05/06/06 13:49, wrote:
> >Adam Hardy:
> >>Can I do anything to globally affect all font sizes in X, not just in the
> >>bits that KDE controls?
> [snip]
> >
> >The easiest way to make sure X knows your real dpi:
> >
> >- Run this:
> >  xdpyinfo | grep dots
> >     resolution:    92x92 dots per inch
> >
> >  If xdpyinfo shows 76 dpi, this is most probably false (unless you have
> >  a very large monitor running at 1280x1024).
> >
> >- Measure your display's visible dimensions. This is easy with TFT
> >  displays and a little bit trickier for CRTs. But it doesn't have to be
> >  100% accurate anyway.
> >
> >- In your /etc/X11/xorg.conf (or XF86Config if you are running stable)
> >  search for your "Monitor" section. Add a line like
> >  DisplaySize 280 212
> >  to this section with your display's dimensions in millimetres
> >
> >- Restart X
> >
> >- Run 'xdpyinfo | grep dots' again to see if it has changed.
> >
> >At this point, your fonts might actually look screwed in some
> >applications. *But*: now all your applications (be it KDE, Gnome or
> >plain X) should display all fonts with the same point size at the same
> >real size.
>
> I tried making the changes in the gnome dialog as well after installing
> 140MB of it - I'm afraid I didn't get anywhere, but wierdly there is a
> dialog box there for fonts with an input box for dpi - and when I increased
> the given dpi from 96 upwards, the text on the dialog box got bigger!
> Strangely counter-intuitive. So I left it at 96 dpi and changed back into

Unless you have a very hi-res or very low-res display this is fine.

> KDE.
> Here's my .gtkrc-2.0:
>
> # -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT
> include "/usr/share/themes/Raleigh/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
>
> style "user-font"
> {
> font_name="Sans 8"
> }
> widget_class "*" style "user-font"
>
> include "/home/adam/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"
>
> # -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT

I *assume* this gets written by the gnome desktop utility, hence the
"do not edit". I don't know anything about the innards of gnome or gtk
but I would suggest you do not edit this file while gnome is running.
For all we know there might be circumstances when gnome re-writes the
contents of this file.

What I know for a fact is that in my setup - debian sarge - I had to
make changes to both the .gtkrc *and* the .gtkrc-2.0 to get all the gtk
apps that I use (gimp, mozilla.. that's about it..). That was about a
year ago and I have  no idea whether you still need a .gtkrc. I *guess*
it depends what gtk apps you are running and what versions.. What I
would imagine is that it would not hurt to add one to your setup..

Here's my .gtkrc:

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT
include "/home/gavron/.themes/GTK2-Step/gtk/gtkrc"

style "user-font"
{
  font="-microsoft-verdana-medium-r-normal-*-*-80-*-*-p-*-microsoft-cp1251"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

include "/home/gavron/.gtkrc.mine"

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT

And here's my .gtkrc-2.0:

style "user-font"
{
  font_name="Verdana 7"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

gtk-font-name = "Verdana 8"

Note the differences between the font statements, the different point
sizes - I had to specify "Verdana 7" because the font was a tad larger
in some places.. and I also have a gtk-font-name statement that's
apparently missing from your .gtkrc-2.0..

But I'm a bit surprised the customization you did in gnome did not
change anything.. The trouble about editing files (unless you know
exactly what your are doing) is that you don't have the interactive
feedback that the gnome/kde desktop utilities provide.

As mentioned before you could try the gtk-theme-switch utilities.

You could also try to start a number of applications - those that are
ok.. those that are not - on one desktop and take a screenshot.. and
put it up some place for review.

Also, take a look at the font HOWTO "Optimal use of fonts on linux"..
It may not have the solutiion to your exact problem but it should give
you some background about fonts in X/linux..

Lastly, if you believe in anti-aliasing and

HTH

Thanks,

cga