Re: PalmOS devices conflict with the kernel image?

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 10:53:33PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
Okay, I did a little research.  The kernel actually depends on
initramfs-tools, which depends on udef.  If I replace initramfs-tools with
yaird, in principle I can then reinstall hotplug and my system will work
again.

Unfortunately, for Testing yaird is currently uninstallable:

 libxvmc-dev: Depends: libxvmc1 (= 1:1.0.1-5) but 6.9.0.dfsg.1-6 is to be installed
 yaird: Depends: libhtml-template-perl but it is not going to be installed
        Depends: libparse-recdescent-perl but it is not going to be installed

Is anyone actually able to use a PalmOS device with Debian Testing or
Unstable, or is that capability currently in the "transitional so it doesn't
work" phase?  Is there any plan to either fix udev or make it conflict with
the kernel-image (since it makes the visor.ko module that's part of the
kernel package stop working)?

I'd submit a bug report on the udev package, but the developers explicitly
ask not to receive bug reports if a device is never created, which is what
happens with udev and the Palm.
--
Carl Fink                                   carl@finknetwork.com

I'm running unstable with kernel 2.6.16-2-k7, with udev 0.093-1 and no
hotplug, and I'm syncing a Palm T|X using jpilot.  I don't have yaird
installed; I have initramfs-tools 0.60.

Here's what I had to do.  Edit ~/.jpilot/jpilotrc and make sure it has
the correct username entered, and note the port (mine is
/dev/ttyUSB1).  Everything else I left as-is.  Plug the Palm device in
- you can watch /var/log/syslog to see if it connects to your Palm.
My syslog shows these messages (sorry for the formatting mess due to
long lines) when I plug the T|X in, sync it and unplug it:

Jun  4 12:49:57 localhost kernel: usb 4-5.6: new full speed USB device
using ehci_hcd and address 8
Jun  4 12:49:57 localhost kernel: usb 4-5.6: configuration #1 chosen
from 1 choice
Jun  4 12:49:57 localhost kernel: usbcore: registered new driver
usbserial
Jun  4 12:49:57 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB
Serial support registered for generic
Jun  4 12:49:57 localhost kernel: usbcore: registered new driver
usbserial_generic
Jun  4 12:49:57 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB
Serial Driver core
Jun  4 12:49:57 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB
Serial support registered for Handspring Visor / Palm OS
Jun  4 12:49:57 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB
Serial support registered for Sony Clie 3.5
Jun  4 12:49:57 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB
Serial support registered for Sony Clie 5.0
Jun  4 12:49:57 localhost kernel: visor 4-5.6:1.0: Handspring Visor /
Palm OS converter detected
Jun  4 12:49:57 localhost kernel: usb 4-5.6: Handspring Visor / Palm
OS converter now attached to ttyUSB0
Jun  4 12:49:57 localhost kernel: usb 4-5.6: Handspring Visor / Palm
OS converter now attached to ttyUSB1
Jun  4 12:49:57 localhost kernel: usbcore: registered new driver visor
Jun  4 12:49:57 localhost kernel: drivers/usb/serial/visor.c: USB
HandSpring Visor / Palm OS driver
Jun  4 12:49:59 localhost kernel: usb 4-5.6: USB disconnect, address 8
Jun  4 12:49:59 localhost kernel: visor ttyUSB0: Handspring Visor /
Palm OS converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
Jun  4 12:49:59 localhost kernel: visor ttyUSB1: Handspring Visor /
Palm OS converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
Jun  4 12:49:59 localhost kernel: visor 4-5.6:1.0: device disconnected

As you can see, the system recognises the device (I have the T|X
plugged into a hub) and creates the ttyUSB* devices.  If yours doesn't
show this I guess that's where you need to start.

When syncing, I have to press the sync button on the Palm _before_ I
press 'sync' in jpilot. The other order doesn't work.
I hope this helps - or at least tells you that someone has gotten this
to work, so it's not a completely lost cause :-).

P.S. Until I got this working properly I was syncing with Windows 2kPro running under VMWare Workstation. That was a bit of a nightmare as
Linux and Windows compete for the attention of the visor module.  It
can be done, however.
--
Martin Hillyer