Re: dual head with 2 graphic cards issue

hi nico

> Nicoco wrote:
>
> here is my xorg.conf :

good...

> Section "ServerLayout"
>     Identifier     "Default Layout"
>     Option    "Xinerama"    "true"

#
# looks like ati config tool is messed up
#
>     Screen      0  "aticonfig Screen 0"
>     Screen      1  "deuxieme" Above "aticonfig Screen 0"

whacky ... normally it would be something like:

    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    Screen 	1  "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"

>     InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
>     InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Files"
>             # local font server
>     # if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
>     FontPath     "unix/:7100"

if you have the font server above, you do not need any these font files below

>     FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier  "Configured Mouse"
>     Driver      "mouse"

i assume your mouse works .. otherwise you're dead ..

it should work in single monitor mode at least

> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier   "aticonfig Monitor 0"

whacky ... bad ..

if you use Screen0 ... than it should be used in Layout defined above
if you use "aticonfig Monitor 0" ... than it should be used in Layout defined above

> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier   "petitecran"
>     HorizSync    28-49
>     VertRefresh    43-72

more whackyness...

if you use Screen1 ... than it should be used in Layout defined above
if you use "peitecran" ... than it should be used in Layout defined above

> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "ATI Graphics Adapter 0"
>     Driver      "fglrx"
>     BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"

good
presumably this is pci and NOT agp based svga card

>     Screen 0

what's that for .. take it out

> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "Mystique"
>     Driver      "mga"
>     BusID       "PCI:2:0:0"

presumably this is pci and NOT agp based svga card
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier "aticonfig Screen 0"
>     Device     "ATI Graphics Adapter 0"
>     Monitor    "aticonfig Monitor 0"

make sure your naming convention matches the Layout section

>     DefaultDepth     24
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Depth     24

sometimes you need to specify Modes "1024x768"

what is the point of having 24bit resolution if you have 800x600 ??

>     EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier "deuxieme"
>     Device     "Mystique"
>     Monitor    "petitecran"
make sure your naming convention matches the Layout section

>     DefaultDepth     24
>     SubSection "Display"
>         Depth     24
>         Modes "800x600"

what is the point of having 24bit resolution if you have 800x600 ??

>     EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> Section "DRI"
>     Mode         0666
> EndSection

for more ( dozens of ) dual-screen x.org config file examples and options ...

	http://www.linux-1u.net/X11/Dual/

c ya
alvin