Re: swap and /tmp

Digby Tarvin on 04/05/06 02:40, wrote:
On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 06:25:08PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 12:50:43AM +0100, Digby Tarvin wrote:
I have now adopted it for my Linux systems, and was pleasantly surprised
with the functionality provided. The 'on demand' allocation makes it much
more efficent that a statically allocated partition where any space not
used for temp files is unavailable for anything else. That, coupled with
the ability to set an upper limit to reserve a minimum amount of space
for stop leads me to believe there is no real disadvantage.

so , can you please detail how you have done this? tmpfs size,
mounting details etc? I'm intrigued by this proposition and would like
more info. thanks

Not much to it. Just add something like this to your /etc/fstab:
  tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs   size=1g         0       0

Merging my old /tmp partition with the original swap partition gave
me a 1.5GB swap, of which I have set a maximum /tmp size of 1GB,
leaving a minimum of 512MB for swap.

I've also got the following lines in my mtab:

tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,size=10M,mode=0755 0 0

I read that the first line is used for POSIX shared memory so that must have been in the original kernel config, and the second line looks like it is put there by usbfs.

So if you were to add the tmpfs handling for /tmp into /etc/fstab, what else would you have to do to make sure that /tmp is managed properly? Currently it's this:

drwxrwxrwt   11 root root   4096 2006-05-04 17:54 tmp

(e.g. do you delete /tmp?)

rgds
Adam