Re: ssh via inetd the Debian way

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 02:02:03PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Uh, does this seem right?  I recall sshd generating the key when it is
> first installed and don't recall the key changing every reboot which is when
> sshd would shutdown/startup like it would from inetd.  :/

It generates the host-specific keys at install time, but the v1 ssh
protocol requires a second smaller RSA key generated that's not used for
more than an hour, whereas the v2 protocol uses Diffie-Hellman.  See the
man page:

    SSH protocol version 1
        Each host has a host-specific RSA key (normally 2048 bits) used
        to identify the host.  Additionally, when the daemon starts, it
        generates a server RSA key (normally 768 bits).  This key is
        normally regenerated every hour if it has been used, and is
        never stored on disk.

    SSH protocol version 2
        Version 2 works similarly: Each host has a host-specific key
        (RSA or DSA) used to identify the host.  However, when the
        daemon starts, it does not generate a server key.  Forward
        security is provided through a Diffie-Hellman key agreement.
        This key agreement results in a shared session key.

With inetd, sshd is invoked for each connection, so with the v1 protocol
it must generate a new RSA key for each connection.  This does not apply
to the v2 protocol, however.