Re: communication between chrooted mysql, apache, egroupware

On Monday 24 April 2006 00:39, Gezim Hoxha wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I'm wondering what happens when I chroot apache2 (with php module) in
> its own jail and then chroot mysql in its own jail too. How will the PHP
> scripts be able to connect to mysql?

if you use networking in mysql and have your php scripts use TCP connections
to connect to mysql, this should be a non-issue.

note however, that mysql_connect likes to 'optimize' connections
to 'localhost' by using the file 'mysql.sock' as that is much faster - or so
the rumor goes ;)

if you want to continue using the sock file, you may have to setup some type
of symlink or some such so that both jailees can have some way of getting
access to that file.

much simpler to just enable networking in mysql and use the TCP connections.

> On top of this. I want to chroot egroupware in its own separate jail
> too. Is this doable or is it going to get really complicated?

again, if you use TCP it becomes a non issue.

--

anoop aryal
aaryal@foresightint.com