Re: System Locks up after kdevelop install

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 05:32:58 -0700, Ross Drinen wrote:

[...]

> Thanks for the suggestion to establish ssh connection.  That yields
> the following further information on the problem.
> When the system "locks up", top shows XFree86 running 100% CPU Usage.
>  Killing that process frees up the screen, and it goes back to the
> KDM login screen, from which I can login and function again until the
> next  "lock up".
> When locked up, the mouse pointer moves about the screen normally,
> but no mouse clicks or keyboard actions have any effect.
> It looks to me like when I installed kdevelop, I also changed X
> somehow (this all started when I installed kdevelop) and removing
> kdevelop didn't undo whatever changed in X.
> How about i remove X (and KDE?) and reinstall them?

I don't think that will be necessary, it is probably either a
configuration problem or a hardware issue. Let's start with your
graphics card: Please run the command "lspci" and post the part of the
output which identifies your graphics card. (A line with "VGA compatible
controller" or something like that in it.) Also post your
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and the output of

egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/XFree86.0.log

Finally, after you have killed X in case of another lock-up, have a look
at the file .xsession-errors in your home directory. If you see anything
"suspicious" in the last entries in there, post that as well.

One of these things will hopefully give us a clue about how to proceed.

--
Regards,
          Florian