Re: Supported Video Cards under Free Software

"Manaen Schlabach" <manaen.schlabach@gmail.com> writes:
> It seems like everyone agrees that Video card manufacturers really
> don't want to give up their 3d stuff and that seems to be the primary
> reason we can't get a "good" open source driver.

S, sowhat exactly is in the video card drivers they're so paranoid
about?  I know pretty well how modern graphics _hardware_ works, and
software, but I'm not exactly sure what's in this disputed layer.

Obviously, the nuts and bolts of sending data to hardware (various
protocols for talking to hardware), but that's fairly uninteresting, and
it would be silly for them to feel a need to "protect" it.

So... what's the "interesting" stuff in the driver that they're trying
to protect?  Texture management?

-Miles
--
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  -Woody Allen