Re: Xorg upgrade troubles

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 20:14:03 -0700
"Michael M." <nixlists@writemoore.net> wrote:

> Debian stable has a lot of value and serves many
> important purposes, but being a showcase for a nice up-to-date Linux
> desktop is not one of them.
>
> --
> Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA

I do agree with that, but...

I'm sorry to say, but in my experience so far, the only distro that
makes a good impression to newcomers (from the windoze world) is
Xandros. My brother had that installed and I tried to convince him to
switch away from the dark side and try Kubuntu. It would freeze
somewhere in the middle of loading KDE, live or installed! And when I
tried to disable X and start gradually, I hit upon the sudo setup
typical to (K)Ubuntu, which I had no idea about, so I had to give up.
Back home I installed it on my laptop. After a month Kubuntu's /
partition made a nice /home for my unstable when I needed more space ;)
and my brother is still using Xandros :(

My point is, if you're willing (or even like) to tinker with your
computer start with stable and gradually move up to testing or
unstable. If not, I have to recommend Xandros :(
(K)Ubuntu is trying to be a friendly and stable distro, but it is not
as newcomer friendly as Xandros and not as stable as Debian.

Just my 0.02 RON

Andrei
(Albert Einstein)