Re: Hard disk failure?

> Well, I have been wrong a few times before, but jumping to conclusions
> has stood me well over the years on average.  I'm a semi-almost-nearly
> retired broadcast engineer and a Certified Electronics Technician with
> over 55 years of corraling electrons for a living.  They never seem to
> want you to fully retire when they *think* they might have to call me
> in an emergency.  So they sort of keep me on retainer or something.  It
> helps pay the medical insurance thats a bit hard to get when you're
> past 70. :)
>
> Let me know what the Seagate diagnostics thinks of it.  I'm assuming of
> course that the cabling is correct, as in this drive *is* on the end of
> the cable, and not the middle connector, and that the longer section of
> the cable is plugged into the motherboard, as either of those two
> conditions not being met can bite you in a similar manner.
>
> Good luck, and toss me a mail if thats it, or the drive itself is
> toasted.

Hello again,

Thanks for the responses.

Last night I run SeaTools tool on the entire disk and did not find any
errors. I did a full test. I do not understand why this tool does not
tell anything about the SMART thing and the recorded errors I see with
smartctl :-(

Yes, I have a 40 GB drive on the middle of the cable and the 160 GB
drive is on the end. Today I am going to buy a new cable just to
discard the cable issue (I do not know if it makes sense). Also I am
going to measure disk input voltages just to verify everything is ok
on the power suppy.

I have another Debian Sarge on the 40GB drive that I use to backup the
first disk. I have booted from it and made a full system backup of my
Debian partition on the first disk.

This problem is very annoying because it happens some times. For
example, I did a full backup on the 40GB disk from my Debian partition
on the first disk without problems.

But sometimes, when I mount

mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /mnt/harddisk1(on the second disk)

It refuses to mount and I get the disk unrecoverable errors. But
sometimes it just works fine. This is driving me nuts ;-)

I am lost on what to do.

Thank you very much in advance.
Ramiro.