Re: backing up a drive

Mike Smith wrote:

I'd prefer you not to top post.

Hmm... Doesn't the hard drive's MBR have the disk size on it?

Yes, but the MBR is not part of any partition. Using dd on
/hda1 uses the partition, not the physical disc.

(I know that's the case with floppy disks - I made Windows think a
1.44mbfloppy was
33.6 mb once. The power of a hex editor ;-) )

You edited the BR, not the MBR, as a floppy doesn't have an MBR.