Re: receiving unexpected IP address *outside* of VPN

Levi Waldron wrote:
2006/3/20, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl>:

On Sid it currently seems to be enough to have KDE installed and
aptitude configured to automatically include recommended packages. Then
this little pest will creep into your system via the kde > kdenetwork >
kdnssd dependency chain and a succession of recommendations which goes
through avahi-daemon and libnss-mdns.

I actually am using gnome (on sid), and don't have KDE installed.  I'm
not sure how to check which chain of packages I have that recommend
zeroconf, but if I figure that out I could file a minor or wishlist
bug against it.

If you use aptitude in interactive mode you can simply move to the
"Packages which depend on zeroconf" section of zeroconf's package
description, open it by pressing <ENTER>, go to the first installed
package listed there and repeat the process, etc.

It also can be done with apt-cache in a more basic manner:

$ apt-cache --installed rdepends zeroconf
zeroconf
Reverse Depends:
  libnss-mdns
  kdnssd

$ apt-cache --installed rdepends kdnssd
kdnssd
Reverse Depends:
  kdenetwork

With regard to filing a bug report: It might also be that it is more
appropriate to file the bug against zeroconf. After all, it seems to me
that Debian packages are normally set up such that the user actually has
to uncomment something in a config file before a significant change
(such as altering the IP address) takes place.

OK, I just checked and it seems that various people have already filed
bugs against zeroconf, ranging from "important" to "critical":
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=zeroconf;dist=unstable

The maintainer seems to be somewhat unresponsive to this, though.

Regards,
           Florian