Re: How unstable is Unstable?

Leonid Grinberg:

> Unstable, I know, does not have this problem.

I think most packages are not considerably newer in unstable than they
are in testing. But huge things like Gnome, which consist of a few dozen
interdependent packages propagate slower to testing.

> So I am wondering, how unstable is it? I might be getting a new
> computer within a few months, and am considering installing Debian
> Unstable on it. But what should I expect? Will it crash a few times a
> month, or a day? How much work is it?

Personally, I am running unstable on my machines (desktop systems) for
two or three years now and I have never experienced a major outage (like
random system crashes or a system that doesn't boot anymore). The
problems you are likely to encounter are single broken packages. To deal
with this stuff, you should know how to use apt(itude), the BTS and
Google. And this list, of course. But be prepared to be asked questions
like "Why do you use unstable if you cannot handle $foo yourself?!?". :)

Of course you should not run unstable on machines you really depend on
or on servers which are likely to be attacked.

J.
--
In public I try to remain calm and to appear perceptive.
[Agree]   [Disagree]