Re: System hangs at boot

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006, Leo Britto wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a Debian Sarge 2.6.8 running on my laptop and I
finally got my wireless adapter to work. But when I
reboot it I just cant go pass the jabberd startup.
Earlier it was "hanging" on the MTA startup so I
apt-get remove exim4-base and got rid of it just to
find out that the problem is after it.

WhenI boot in the "safe mode" (no services i guess) I
can get to the bash w/o problems, start my wireless
and use it.

How can I found what is causing this problem?

I setup one Sarge laptop with a D-Link wireless card[1] using ndiswrapper where booting with 2.6.8-2-686 (kernel compile for the right cpu type) fails to load some of the relevant drivers while the default 2.6.8-2-386 works. I didn't get time to investigate throughly and just dropped it back to the -386 kernel. It's been working beatifully. If relevant, see if this helps.

[1] I don't have the model available to me right now.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073