Re: Strange top output

Simon wrote:

> Hi There,
>
> We are seeing a large spike in load average on our web server (from
> 0.xx to 10-15.xx) but there does not seem to be anything hogging the
> CPUs or anything... Am i missing something here? What can i do to
> check other issues.
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon
>
> [snip top output]

Check for processes in the uninterruptible sleep mode (D in ps).  Those
processes contribute a full point to your load average, for each process in
wait.  That is, if you have 15 processes in the D state, your load average
will be 15.  This state is normally caused by a slow i/o process.  There's
nothing you can do about it, unless you know which i/o is slow, and can
speed it up.

Justin